Five people have been injured in an explosion at a house in Manchester.
Greater Manchester fire and rescue service said crews were called to a partially collapsed end-of-terrace property in the suburb of Blackley at 12.40pm on Monday.
North West ambulance service said five people were injured, two of them seriously, in the blast. They have been taken to hospital for treatment, but the nature of their injuries is not yet known.
Rescue dogs were at the scene and technical response units were working to stabilise the damaged property. National Grid workers also attended on Monday afternoon.
A spokesperson for Greater Manchester police said they had been called to the house at 12.20pm, but it was too early to say whether or not the explosion would be treated as suspicious.
Pictures showed the red-brick house with its front blown off and damage to the neighbouring property.
Speaking to Manchester Evening News, neighbours compared the sound of the explosion to a bomb. “I went to the street and it looks like it has taken out an entire house,” one man said. “There were loads of police and fire crews there.”
A neighbour said: “The house shook; we thought someone had crashed a car into our house, so we went out to see and it was that bang.”
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010